History of Our Lady of Mercy School
Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church, located on the south side of Winston-Salem, was begun as a response to the migration of many people from the North to new work assignments at the Western Electric Lexington Road Plant in the city. The year was 1957.
On September 22, 1957, Bishop Waters dedicated the building, containing a church which was in the basement of the structure, an auditorium on the second floor, and the parish school. Present at the dedication of the Church was the Right Reverend Michael J. Begley, who eventually became the first Bishop of the Diocese of Charlotte. At this time, the services of the Sisters of St. Joseph from Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania were obtained to staff the school.
On November 22, 2002, the school moved from the Banner Avenue location to the renovated former Bishop McGuinness High School on Link Road.
In 2006 a Pre-K was added. In 2010, the school was awarded the Blue-Ribbon School of Excellence from the U.S. Department of Education as well as State Licensure for its Pre-K program. In 2017 the Pre-K became a 5-Star licensed program.
The school has developed a regional flavor with students coming from many neighboring parishes. In the days ahead, the parish school of Our Lady of Mercy hopes to carry on the past tradition and develop an even richer one.